Sunday, March 25, 2012

Weekly news roundup


 
(Million Hoodie March for Trayvon Martin. Union Square NYC. 03.21.2012)

  ----------
"It comes down to this: When the community has failed a patient by voting an ideologue into office…When the ideologue has failed the patient by writing legislation in his own interest instead of in the patient's…When the legislative system has failed the patient by allowing the legislation to be considered… When the government has failed the patient by allowing something like this to be signed into law… We as physicians cannot and must not fail our patients by ducking our heads and meekly doing as we're told.

Because we are their last line of defense." 
(A Doctor’s Manifesto for Fighting Transvaginal Ultrasounds)

  ----------
"After surveying the political landscape and taking note of who was saying what about women's reproductive rights in America, it would not be unreasonable to conclude that "pro-choice man" is a contradiction in terms. Because with the exception of a very few men — bless you, Stephen Colbert, Jon Stewart, and Garry Trudeau — there are barely any men speaking out in favor of a woman's right to choose.

But it's not a contradiction in terms. Those men do exist. And last month, I decided to create a space where they could make themselves heard.

Men Who Trust Women is a tumblr where men who believe that bodily autonomy is every woman's right can share their stories. It's not about speaking instead of women, or on behalf of women, but alongside them and in support of them." 
 (Don’t Despair: There Are Plenty of Men Out There Who Trust Women)

  ----------
"International press reported that Saudi Arabia approved the participation of Saudi women in the Olympics a day after the IOC reported that progress had been made in negotiations with Saudi Olympic officials on sending female athletes and officials to the games. Saudi Arabia has approved such participation as long as their sports “meet the standards of women’s decency and don’t contradict Islamic laws.”" 
(At last, Saudi women in the Olympics)

 ----------
"The irony: At that instant, my partner Joe and other guys were 50 feet away, filming the video “Sh*t Men Say To Men Who Say Sh*t to Women on the Street”. They were saying things on-camera that I wanted someone to say in life. Right then. To that guy. They were things I could have said. But I didn’t. I hate admitting it but I was afraid. And I felt helpless. And the more I think about it, the madder I get. Because this is not my job. It’s not my job to be on guard every second; to defend myself constantly; to fight against every male gaze on me, wherever I am, whatever I wear." 
(Sh*t Men Say To Men Who Say Sh*t to Women on the Street)

1 comment:

  1. Did you read Amanda Marcotte's rebuttal to the "Doctor's Manifesto..."? She points out that if they don't perform the ultrasounds and they get caught, their medical licenses will be taken away and then there will be NO abortion providers.
    I'm not condoning the law, I think it's awful. It's just that civil disobedience isn't always the best recourse of action.

    ReplyDelete