Thursday, September 1, 2011

Politics and... Hairstyles?

I'm the kind of person who loves to talk about politics. I will talk about them from sun up to sun down, just because I find the topic interesting. That being said, I have one question. Why is it that when a woman runs for office, her looks and fashion sense are sometimes hotter topics than her ideologies and values. Take this recent article on Michelle Bachmann. I remember absolutely no talk of what designers the president wears. I don't see Joan Rivers asking Mitt Romney "who" he is wearing. So why women? There were several articles about Sarah Palin's wardrobe and make-up and now Michelle Bachmann's hair.

Don't get me wrong, I love fashion. It's creative and artful and fun, but I think that whether or not a person is trying to take away my right to decide what happens to my body or who I'm allowed to marry is a little more important than what designer they are wearing or whether they use blue-black or ultimate black hair dye.

It seems as though people are trying to distract us by saying "You may not agree with her politics... but look at her shoes!" This will not work. We need to stand firm in our education of politicians and not be swayed by their clothes or fantastic hairstyles. We will not be fooled by the pretty faces, we will listen to what they say and make our decisions based on our intellect and values as well as the politicians that we are comparing them against.

For the people who think otherwise, all I can say is you are dead wrong.

~Kari~
A new NOW intern.

No comments:

Post a Comment